SAP Sybase Unwired Platform
Sybase Unwired Platform (SUP) is a framework for developing mobile applications that SAP is using both as a development platform and a device management system. SUP offers a number of services for creating mobile apps and is optimised for use in business environments:
Connection to various backend systems
- Data can be exchanged between the Sybase Unwired Server and various backend systems.
- These include SAP systems, databases and web services.
- The Sybase Unwired Server can act as a cache between mobile end devices and backend systems to permit flexible synchronisation.
Creation of mobile apps
- Data exchanges are modelled in a graphical user interface based on Eclipse.
- User interfaces for simple HTML apps can be implemented using Rapid Application Development. These then run on the end devices within a hybrid web container app.
- SDKs (software development kits) are available for developing native apps for various end device platforms. These run within the respective applications.
Use of backend services by end devices
- The SUP functionality can be used on iOS, Android, Windows Mobile and BlackBerry devices.
- Offline functionality in custom apps can be achieved on end devices by embedding the appropriate SUP code libraries.
Administering applications and users
- Transmission security between the Sybase Unwired Server and the end devices is achieved through various methods such as SSL encryption and reverse proxies.
- Access permissions for applications, data and users are managed on the Sybase Unwired Platform. Active Directory and SAP roles can also be integrated.
Unwired Platform Architecture
The Unwired Platform architecture includes several major components associated with tiers: server tier, data tier, and client tier.
- Server tier
Integrates the server components with back-end enterprise systems,
data access and transaction services, device and application deployment,
and system management functionality.
- Data tier Stores data retrieved from the backend data sources and other runtime related metadata.
- Client tier Consists of device applications built on top of the Unwired Platform client runtime.
You can employ different secure application communication
stylesreplication and messagingbetween the client and the server
- Relay Server
Relay Server enables secure, load-balanced communication between mobile
devices and the Unwired Server cluster. Across-the-firewall deployment
occurs without opening any internal firewall ports for enterprise
mobilization and ensures that data is secure while in transit.
- Afaria Server
As a separately licensed and installed component, Afaria Server provides
enterprise level device application deployment and device management.
Integrated with Unwired Server, the solution supports end-to-end
management and security of devices, and over-the-air and push-based
deployment of device applications.