SAP HANA - Sold in blocks of 64 GB of Memory where otherwise noted
SAP HANA is a real-time applications platform that provides a multi-purpose, in-memory appliance. It provides features that support development for SAP and custom-built applications.
SAP HANA combines database, advanced analytics (predictive, spatial, text analytics, sentiment analysis, search), enterprise information management (bulk load, real-time replication, transformation, cleansing) and application server capabilities all running in-memory, on one data copy and on a single platform.
It is one of the fastest growing Enterprise Software products ever, and it is disruptive to organizations all over the world. SAP HANA as an appliance, is, a combination of hardware and software.
The most dominant licensing of choice is the SAP Hana Enterprise Edition.
However, customers explicitly interested in running Business Warehouse on SAP Hana can license Hana in two ways:
This is priced as a flat fee per unit for up to 10 units, and the price then decreases with every additional 10 units a customer buys. Future licensing purchases are accretive and retroactive.
- By software application value
Customers pay a percentage of their total SAP purchase price and receive an unlimited
- Load data from different types of systems, create models in SAP HANA, and consume data for decision-making
- Develop models attribute/analytical/calculation views and transform your data to insightful information using the Modeler
- Create filters, variables, and hierarchies and stored procedures using SQL scripting
- Make reports from SAP HANA's data
- Practice Business Intelligence, Analytics, and Predictive analytics on top of SAP HANA Models
- Transform your business with the modeler and in-memory computing engine
The DBMS, which runs on SUSE Linux and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, enables real-time analytics
on transactional systems on a large scale and on a variety of data,
including structured, unstructured, spatial, time series and streaming
SAP HANA features
Version SPS10 of SAP HANA offers several new key features, including:
- Improved user management capabilities in SAP HANA cockpit, including a new application for granting roles to users.
- Enhanced security and authorization, including better management
capabilities for encryption, single sign-on support, SQL-based analytic
privileges, new system privileges and new object privileges.
- A new performance monitor application in SAP HANA cockpit for tracking and visually analyzing memory, disk and CPU usage.
- Workload classes, which can be created and mapped to balance and
manage workload types, including online analytical processing, online
transaction processing and mixed workloads.
- The ability to create incremental and delta backups.
- Enhanced integration with Apache Spark using SAP HANA Smart Data Access.
- Remote data synchronization that enables companies to sync information between enterprise and remote devices and locations.
- Expanded smart data integration with the latest version of Hadoop
distributions from Cloudera, Hortonworks and MapR in addition to faster
data transfer with Spark SQL and a single administration user interface
(UI) for both HANA and Hadoop using Apache Ambari.
HANA Architecture - The Heart of SAP HANA
Engine (Simplified) - What is In-Memory? In-memory means all the data is
stored in the memory (RAM). There is no time wasted in loading the data
from hard disk to RAM, or while processing, keeping some data in RAM
and some data on disk temporarily. Everything is in-memory all the time,
which gives the CPUs quick access to data for processing
SAP HANA can be licensed by memory increments, by enterprise license agreements or as a run-time database for SAP applications. Pricing is typically based on memory increments of 64 GB
SAP offers 20 free trial options for various HANA apps, including a 30-day trial for Business Warehouse Powered by HANA and the Amazon Web Services version for SAP HANA One, at 99 cents per hour. Trial periods range from three to 30 days, depending on the product. SAP offers several levels of support for SAP HANA that range from standard incident support to a customized, collaborative partnership between SAP and the customer. SAP BW-EML benchmarks using SAP HANA are available to help you gauge the potential impact of HANA's in-memory capabilities against traditional RDBMS performance.
SAP HANA is available in four editions
- SAP HANA Base Edition, which provides core database services as
well as the development tools, includes business function libraries,
predictive libraries and integration with R system.
- SAP HANA Platform Edition, which is the base edition plus spatial,
search, text, analytics, graph engines and additional packaged
libraries and development tools
- SAP HANA Enterprise Edition, which is the platform edition plus
additional bundled components for data provisioning and HANA rule
- SAP HANA Runtime Edition, which is available for running SAP
applications only. This is licensed by application value, rather than
The SAP HANA in-memory DBMS has three major
components: Application services, database services and integration
services (including developer APIs). SAP HANA Extended Application
Services (XS) provides a small-footprint application server, Web server
development platform. XS is integrated into SAP HANA and isn't separate
software. XS includes Fiori UI libraries (based on
Open UI5) to enable customers to develop consumer-grade Web applications
accessible from any device.
The database services component provides the core DBMS engine and database system services, enabling the creation of online transaction processing, online analytical processing and next-generation transaction applications with embedded analytics and predictive capabilities.
There are different implementation options, from the types of SAP HANA to cloud and on-premise offerings.
Integration services include smart data access that provides data virtualization and federation, smart data integration and features that enable bulk loading, bi-directional real-time replication, data transformation, data cleansing and streaming data processing capabilities.
Remote data synchronization enables companies to sync information between enterprise and remote devices and locations as well as Hadoop integration with HIVE, Spark and direct access to HDFS files and Map Reduce jobs using virtual user-defined functions (vUDF).
Developers can use Eclipse-based SAP HANA Studio or Web-based development tools to build applications.
SAP Database Control Center and SAP HANA cockpit provide Fiori-based Web tools to administer and monitor HANA from any location or device.
Native Application Development
Application development for SAP HANA, includes SAP HANA Cloud Platform, SAP HANA XS, and SAP River. The SAP HANA in-memory DBMS uses relational access (SQL and Multidimensional eXpressions, or MDX), although it deploys a column-based relational database management system (RDBMS) and supports geospatial, graph, streaming and textual/unstructured data.
Data Modeling and Provisioning
Master SAP HANA Studio, SAP Data Services, and more. Various tools at different stages of creating models can be used in SAP HANA Studio, and consuming data using reporting tools such as SAP BusinessObjects, SAP Lumira, and so on.
- In-memory computing
- Row and column store
- SAP BW on SAP HANA
- SAP Business Suite on SAP HANA
- SAP BusinessObjects BI
- SAP HANA Cloud Platform
- SAP River
- SAP HANA XS
- SAP HANA Studio
- SAP Data Services
- SAP Landscape Transformation and SAP (Sybase) Replication Server
SAP HANA supports multi-tenancy and data tiering, which enables petabyte-scale deployments for warm data (data that's less frequently accessed) to be stored on the disk, and offers a choice of deployment models and partners. The DBMS can be deployed on-premises, in the cloud or as a hybrid of both.
Todays applications have multidimensional set of specialized requirements
- Gains from moving these requirements into a (single) DBMS
- Simplified and more explicit data modeling and processing for applications
- Increased performance
- No complicated data transfer between specialized engines
- Powerful orchestration required
- Web-scale processing is key to support new applications
SAP HANA strives to answer all these requirements in a single data management platform.
Download - SAP HANA® Database for Next-Generation Business Applications and Real-Time Analytics
Download - SAP HANAs Defining Capabilities